The Studio di Fonologia Musicale was officially born in June 1955, with the blessing of the Rai establishment and under the direction of Berio (who would mantain this role until 1959), while Maderna was not assigned an official role. The name gained official recognition the following year at the Audition of compositions of concrete music and electronic music held on 8 May 1956 in Milan. At this point the Studio was one of the best equipped laboratories of electronic music in the world, and it quickly became a worldwide pole of attraction for contemporary composers. In Italy, Luigi Nono, Nicolo` Castiglioni, Aldo Clementi, Franco Donatoni, Armando Gentilucci, Giacomo Manzoni, Gino Marinuzzi Jr., Angelo Paccagnini, Salvatore Sciarrino, Camillo Togni, Roman Vlad, are just a few of the many composers working here. Henri Pousseur and John Cage worked at the Studio during 1957 and 1958, respectively, and were fascinated with its state-of-the-art technology. But the role of the Studio quickly grew beyond musical production: it became a catalyst for the italian cultural scene, involving musicologists, writers, film-makers.